Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A-Rod: A Double Dip

For The Record-A-Rod is still a robot. I believe that his press conference was for the most part sincere and a rare occurance where a professionnal athlete owns up to his misgivings. However, I did not see the emotion that I wanted to see. I did not see the remorse. Honestly, I'm the last person who wants to get into a debate about steroids, but I was not impressed from what I saw from A-Rod today. 

When he wanted to thank his teammates, I didn't know whether he wanted to cry or smile. He looked like he was holding back. I don't think he helped his A-Fraud image at all. Furthermore, he continued to hide behind his "young and naive" comment. Sure he may sincerely believe that, but I expect him to be questioned and grilled through out the season. I just want him to be honest. I don't really care about the numbers because I don't care for A-Rod. I just want to know the facts, the real story.

For The Record-A-Rod hasn't disgraced baseball. Bud Selig may say what he want, but his whole tenure has been a failure in the sense of keeping the game clean. Sure attendance and revenues have gone up and the game is more popular than ever, but this is large part in due to the widespread use of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs). In the season that "saved" baseball, the two most popular players, Sosa and McGuire, were both on PEDs. The game's most prolific home run hitter, Barry Bonds, has been shamed by his use of PEDs. Many others have fallen in the same way.

A-Rod is no different, but he hasn't brought more shame than others. It's important to note that MLB started full testing in 2004. Since then, A-Rod has not tested positive. He may have done steroids, but it was not against the rules. Now the whole debate about numbers being tainted or whatever, that's for everyone else to decide, but for the record, A-Rod did not do anything wrong.

As far as the other 103 names go, I would like to see those names become public as well. I know that it may hurt to see some of my favorite players on that list, but why should A-Rod be the only one whose name is exposed from a list that was supposed to stay private? 

The only way we can really understand the steroid era is to get as many facts about it as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment